Good morning peeps,
This is the second project I did for the Creative Loops challenge. The theme is ‘new’ so this is a bit of a creative departure for me. I think this is the third cake I’ve tried to decorate in my life so I hunted around on Pinterest for some inspiration. I had spotted this cake when I was researching inspiration for the main challenge post
As usual I had a quick hunt round for ideas based on stars ecploding from a cake and popped them n a Pinterest board. Once I had decided on the style I wanted I found a couple of tutorials and gave the idea of stars exploding from a gift a go. A tutorial from www.rosebakes.com gave me enough info to give it a go- minus the superman!
I made a fruit cake and covered it with marzipan. I then added a layer of dark blue icing and a disc of teal icing on the top of that (only a couple of inches in diameter). I took a layer of white icing and randomly cut out 3 sizes of stars and set them aside to dry for a bit. I added the layer of white icing to the top- I really like the effect of seeing the blue through the cut out stars. I carefully cut a cross in the centre of the white icing and folded it back. I then cut a square of the teal icing into 4 and placed them into the folded area to give the impression of 2 layers of icing folded back. I measured, cut and added the teal ribbons (unfortunately one was slightly squiffy as I was a bit tired!). I cut 4 large stars from white icing and put them at the bottom of the ribbon base then I added some of the white stars I’d already cut out to the ribbons running across the cake (alternating 2 sizes). I put some teal sugar granules into the middle of the cake. I cut out some large stars and put them on bamboo skewers (I didn’t have time to go and get something more colour coordinated so I had to work with my stash). I then spent ages threading stars on wire and adding them to the explosion (in the middle I used longer wires with larger stars at the base through to the smallest at the top. Then I had lots of smaller wires with single stars- getting smaller as they moved out) I added a few left over stars to the sugar at the base. It took me ages but I was pleased with the result…..it tastes good as well 🙂
That is my new technique in a new creative area- an exploding birthday gift! I’d like to enter the following challenges